Discover winter glacier hiking - Evolution 2 Chamonix
THE WORLD OF GLACIERS, AN UNFORGETTABLE DISCOVERY!
What if winter had more surprises in store for you than you thought?
Discover the Mer de Glace, the last big glacier in the Alps!
Take an interest and learn about its evolution whilst observing the majestic peaks of the Mont Blanc massif that surround it, as well as the imposing seracs of the Glacier du Géant.
Your guide will teach you how to use crampons or snowshoes that allow you to walk on ice as well try ice climbing with ice axes: your first steps as a mountaineer!
- Details about your glacier hike:
- Level required: Good physical condition required (being able to hike at altitude for a full day). No mountaineering experience is required.
- Minimum age: from 12 years old.
- Duration: 1 day
- Meeting point: Montenvers train station in Chamonix
- Options: book your discovery hike as a group or with a private instructor.
- Program of the day in detail :
🚅 Ascent by train to the top station of the Montenvers at 1930 meters above sea level (30 minutes)
🚶Walk on a path then along a cliff equipped with ladders and cables to reach the glacier 45 min to 1 hour walk (Ladders closed for the summer 2022, you will have to take the cable car). Here the ice is covered with stones. Walk an additional 15 minutes to reach the ice. Get equipped with crampons then walk towards the Moulin (an ice canyon that has been naturally created by a river and ends where the water disappears and plunges into the heart of the glacier.)
🏔️ Depending on the conditions, the guide can then let you try ice climbing and / or continue the hike towards the junction of the Leschaux glacier. This leaves about an hour on the glacier before taking the way back.
⏲️ Count approximatively 5 to 6 hours of walking. This itinerary is given as an indication. It can be modified to suit the conditions of the glacier and your level.
For information :
- Low season: from 16/12/23 to 29/12/23 then from 06/01/24 to 09/02/24 then from 24/02/24 to 19/04/24
- High season: from 30/12/23 to 05/01/23 and then from 10/02/24 to 23/02/24